Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. Citizens and Residents

I’m working on campus. Do I need to meet with the Tax Department to fill out tax forms?

No, you do not. Obtain your tax forms from your supervisor, the GW Career Center, or the Faculty & Staff Service Center. The Tax Department does not have an involvement with the completion or processing of your tax forms.

I received a tuition scholarship. Is this considered taxable income to me?

A qualified scholarship that is one used by a degree seeking student for tuition and required fees, books, and equipment is not considered taxable income to you.

I received a stipend last year. Is this considered taxable income to me, and will I receive a tax form from GW reporting this?

A stipend is considered a non-qualified scholarship and is taxable income. You will not receive a tax form from GW, as it is not required under current Internal Revenue Service rules. You should self-report this on your annual income tax filing.

Do I have to pay FICA taxes while working on campus?

The Internal Revenue Service provides an exception for FICA taxes provided that you are a GW student, taking a course load equal to or at least one-half of a full-time workload for their respective school as defined by the Office of the Registrar, and that you must be employed by GW. For more details see Social Security & Medicare.

Can the Tax Department help prepare or review my income tax return?

No, we are unfortunately not allowed. We suggest contacting your parents or seeking the services of a professional tax preparer.

I have not received my tax form for GW income from last year. Who should I contact?

Contacts for various tax forms are as follows:

  • Form W-2 – Payroll Services 571-553-4277

  • Form 1042-S – Tax Department 571-553-8313

  • Form 1098-T – Student Accounts Office 202-994-7350

  • Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC – University Payables 571-553-0247