GW has purchased access to online tax preparation software called Sprintax to make your U.S. tax filing obligation easier for you. Sprintax will guide you through the tax filing process through a series of questions about your situation. It will provide instructions on how and where to mail your forms.
Sprintax is for the GW international population treated as nonresident aliens (NRAs) that had income during 2021 (salary, stipend, prize, etc.). You must currently have a relationship with GW (ex. student, scholar, employee, etc.) or have had a relationship with GW in 2021. The access that GW purchased will prepare your federal forms for free (1040NR/1040NR-EZ and 8843). Additional services (PDF), such as state tax filings or W-7 forms, will be available for a small fee paid directly to Sprintax.
For the access code, please email [email protected] requesting Sprintax access. Include your GWid, and note what type of income you had during 2021 in the email. The access code allows for preparation of the federal forms noted above for free, so enter it when requested at the payment stage. Once you've registered, please direct questions to Sprintax through the online chat system, calling at 1-866-601-5695 or emailing at [email protected]. When you have the access code and are ready to begin, head to the main page at Sprintax.
Please make sure you have all applicable tax reporting documents before you start preparation of your returns.
Note those who did not have income during 2021 but who still need to file a Form 8843 due to their nonresident alien status during 2021 should use the 8843 example (PDF) instead of accessing Sprintax.
Sprintax Tax Webinars for Filing Season 2021
Sprintax will be hosting an information tax webinar series to provide an overview of some of the main areas you may need to know about nonresident tax. Topics include, who must file tax forms as a nonresident, residency for tax purposes, when is the filing deadline, FICA taxes, tax forms you may receive or need to complete, as well as an overview of how Sprintax can help to prepare your tax returns via its online software. Sprintax also released a new blog, How to prepare for the 2021 US tax season, which you may find helpful.
- Tuesday, December 7th at 1pm EST - Register here
- Tuesday, January 11th at 12pm EST - Register here
- Wednesday, January 26th at 1pm EST - Register here
- Tuesday, February 8th at 2pm EST - Register here
- Thursday, February 24th at 12pm EST - Register here
- Tuesday, March 1st at 2pm EST - Register here
- Monday, March 14th at 3pm EST - Register here
- Tuesday, March 22nd at 2pm EST - Register here
- Thursday, March 31st at 12pm EST - Register here
- Tuesday, April 5th at 1pm EST - Register here
- Monday, April 11th at 12pm EST - Register here
- Thursday, April 14th at 1pm EST - Register here
- International Students
- Meeting with the Tax Department
- Foreign National Information System
- Taxation of Wages for International Students
- Taxation of Scholarships, Fellowships & Stipends
- Social Security and Medicare Taxes
- State Income Taxes
- Social Security Number & Individual Taxpayer identification Number
- Forms and Publications
- Frequently Asked Questions for International Students
- International Tax Workshop
- Tax Implications and Reporting Requirements of Payments to International Students (“Nonresident Aliens”)
- U.S Citizens & Residents