GW has purchased access to online tax preparation software called Sprintax to make your U.S. tax filing obligation easier for you. Sprintax will guide you through the tax filing process through a series of questions about your situation. It will provide instructions on how and where to mail your forms.
Sprintax is for the GW international population treated as nonresident aliens (NRAs) that had income during 2022 (salary, stipend, prize, etc.). You must currently have a relationship with GW (ex. student, scholar, employee, etc.) or have had a relationship with GW in 2022. The access that GW purchased will prepare your federal forms for free (1040-NR and 8843). Additional services (PDF), such as state tax filings or W-7 forms, will be available for a small fee paid directly to Sprintax.
For the access code, please email [email protected] requesting Sprintax access. Include your GWid, and note what type of income you had during 2022 in the email. The access code allows for preparation of the federal forms noted above for free, so enter it when requested at the payment stage. Once you've registered, please direct questions to Sprintax through their 24/7 live chat facility, calling at 1-866-601-5695 or emailing at [email protected]. When you have the access code and are ready to begin, head to the main page at Sprintax.
Please make sure you have all applicable tax reporting documents before you start preparation of your returns.
Note those who did not have income during 2022 but who still need to file a Form 8843 due to their nonresident alien status during 2022 should use the 8843 example (PDF) instead of accessing Sprintax.
Sprintax 2022 Filing Season and OPT Webinars
Sprintax Nonresident Tax Webinars:
In this tax webinar, international students, scholars and professionals will be run through everything they need to know about nonresident tax for the 2022 tax season. Topics will include who must file, tax residency, FICA, state returns, implications of misfiling as well as how to use Sprintax to prepare a compliant tax return.
- Thursday, February 9th at 1pm ET - Register here
- Tuesday, February 21st at 12pm ET - Register here
- Thursday, March 2nd at 4pm ET - Register here
- Wednesday, March 22nd at 2pm ET - Register here
- Wednesday, March 29th at 1pm ET - Register here
- Thursday, April 6th at 3pm ET - Register here
- Wednesday, April 12th at 12pm ET - Register here
- Friday, April 14th at 2pm ET - Register here
- International Students and Scholars
- Meeting with the Tax Department
- Foreign National Information System
- Taxation of Wages for International Students
- Taxation of Scholarships, Fellowships & Stipends
- Social Security and Medicare Taxes (FICA)
- State Income Taxes
- Social Security Number & Individual Taxpayer identification Number
- Forms and Publications
- Frequently Asked Questions for International Students and Scholars
- Tax Implications and Reporting Requirements of Payments to Nonresident Aliens
- U.S Citizens & Residents
Office of the University Controller
45155 Research Place
Ashburn, VA 20147